Gather your salt, find a four leaf clover, and stand under a rainbow. It’ Friday the 13th! Did you know that Friday the 13th started with an arrest? Yep, apparently it truly did start as bad luck for some people. The lore of it started when the Knights Templar (Remember them from The DaVinci Code) were arrested 705 years ago. Then, the Canterbury Tales popularized it as being bad luck. Ever since then, people fear this day and the number 13.
Here are some Fun Facts about Friday the 13th:
- There are only 3 or 4 a year, depending in the calendar. They occur in a month that begins on a Sunday.
- 13 has always been unlucky because 12 has been considered a complete number, making 13 out of place. (12 hours on a clock, 12 Apostles of Christ, 12 Tribes of Israel, 12 gods of Olympus, etc)
- Friday the 13th has been nicknamed “The Devil’s Dozen”
- Most buildings don’t have a 13th floor.
- Most hospitals don’t have a room 13, for fear of patient’s dying.
- Many of the Friday the 13th movies opened on this day.
- Black Sabboth’s debut album released on Friday the 13th
- The 13th book in The Series of Unfortunate Events released on Friday the 13th
- Tupac died on Friday the 13th
- Unix time reached 1234567890 on Friday the 13th in February of 2009
- The fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia